Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I don't know...

if I'm tired or not fully awake. The past several days have been such a blur that I care not to try and remember what the hell happened. All I know is that I am feeling like I have had the life sucked out of me. It's not even a feeling of being tired, it's like chronic fatigue syndrome bad. Yeah, I'm being a tad mellow-dramatic but what the fuck, it's not like anyone comes here.

Went to see Wedding Crashers over the weekend. Good flick but definitely a rental. The Italian had passes, otherwise I might have been pissed off having paid $$$ to see that considering the loss of sleep that was involved. We had a late dinner at Spike's in Apple Valley, and then back to his place so he could take a dump. I was grateful there was no visit with Mrs. Italian (his mom) in the 10 minutes we were there. He got the paper and we decided Wedding Crashers was the only thing playing in the, "it's even too late for God to be up" spot. What was even better was there was only one other couple in there, I could have watched the movie in my wife-beater had I wanted to.

Dunkin Donuts opens in 2 minutes. I would love another coffee, however, I hate the service at my local shop. Seriously...6 minutes for an iced coffee is recockulous. What's awesome is that they are going to build a Jim Horton's right down the street. I know it's Tim Horton's, but once that fucker is open, I am taking it over. Part of me thinks my lack of energy is in direct relation to the fact I don't have to many hobbies. I do read but lately I have found any book I open to be almost instant narcolepsy. I have been trying to catch up on my Harry Potter but its just impossible.

I don't normally make recommendations for music cause my tastes are so varied, people inevitably come back and scream at me cause they bought/downloaded something they felt was less than good. Now in most cases I can see why, but goddamnit, I'm not holding a gun to your head. You have a brain and free will and the ability to not buy something if you are unsure. Shit, there are enough places on this fucking thing they call the internet where you can listen to a whole disc before you DECIDE whether or not you are going to buy it.

That having been said, let me recommend two cds to you all. If you are a fan of Ben Folds (Five or otherwise) I highly recommend checking out North by Something Corporate. SoCo as they are affectionately referred to by their fans, meld their southern California happiness with emotional tourism to make probably one of the better releases I've heard in the past 2-3 years. Andrew McMahon's honest and often personal lyrics are a perfect match for mostly up tempo rants and raves over the life , liberty and of course the pursuit of the girl.

After a grueling, yet successful co-headlining tour with TRL Champs, Yellowcard, McMahon felt he needed some time off. During this time McMahon fueled his sideproject, Jack's Mannequin. Excited about his new material and anxious to record and release, Everything in Transit, McMahon was diagnosed with Acute Lymphatic Leukemia. Always the optimist, McMahon postponed touring with SoCo & Jack's Mannequin. McMahon underwent a great deal of treatment and is expected to make a full recovery, but the road back to good health has not been easy. Everything In Transit was released to rave reviews and sold 22,000 copies its first week despite having little to no mainstream media support.

The always modest and grateful McMahon, grows stronger day by day and is anxious to get back to work however, knows he needs to wait until he has the green light from doctors. With the love and support of his family, friends and a legion of devoted fans, McMahon takes being sidelined from music in stride. Having seen SoCo live, I'm glad Andrew is taking it easy, he has a great stage presence and writes great music. Here's to a continued and speedy recovery.

I hope you all are well.

Cheers,
JJ

No comments: