Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I know I...

have mentioned my distain for Winter lately & I also know Spring is right around the corner, but it can't come fast enough.

today, when my physical therapist mentioned we're due for another 2-4 inches, I just hung my head like I farted in class. I have been out of work for over two months, with a knee that feels as though its in pieces and though the therapy is helping, I have had to shovel a shitload of snow without any help from a more than capable brother. So forgive me if I don't share in everyone's joy over the chance to make one more snowman.

Moving right along...

I did something today I haven't done in a long time. I came home from pt, had a bite to eat, threw on some music and took a nice afternoon nap. I haven't done this since college and forgotten what a wonderful thing the afternoon snooze is.

200 years ago back in 1998, my roommate and I would often come home from class and if there were not meetings or study sessions to attend, &/or we didn't feel up to marathon NHL '99 sessions, often there was "the snooze." Depending on our level of exhaustion, our options were (most often) bed, but on occassion there was the huge couch that would allow us to sleep comfortably head to foot. (Keep in mind this was a standard dorm room, it's wasn't like we were living in an apartment on or off campus.) The playlist for the snooze was short and very, very selective and difficult to get on.

1. Miles Davis: Sketches of Spain / Kind of Blue
2. Tony Bennett: All Time Greatest Hits
3. Enigma: Enigma3: Le Roi Est Morte, Vive Le Roi!
4. Ani DiFranco: Dilate
5. Third Eye Blind: Third Eye Blind

Our door was always open and constantly people would come in and find us snoozing, sometimes under throws, sometimes not, but always be it man or woman, they would stare like a confused puppy at the sight of two men on a huge couch. It got to the point where people would come in and not say anything. This grew old and if they did not speak within 30 seconds or so, roomie or I would just point to the door. Most people got the hint, with the exception of Citrus Queen, but she was exempt from this and many other rules, as she was the Queen and had carte blanche of waking us up too.

So when I settled down under my 30 degree and up blanket, with BT's Satellite on repeat, I was a little sad to wake up in my house, sans roomie. However, I thought of some good times, great friends and remembered the importance of staying well rested.

I hope you all are well.

Cheers,
JJ

No comments: