Sunday, July 16, 2006

Tonight I got...

reacquainted with reading. It’s been a while. So today, after work, dinner and a brisk walk, I sat down and for the most part read Chuck Klosterman’s, “Killing Yourself to Live” cover to cover. It’s not a life changing book but since reading, “Sex, Drugs, & Cocoa Puffs” I wanted to see what else was available. KYtL was like having many long, long conversations with someone, while pulling bong rips of really good dope. You knew you were enjoying the conversation, but you were never really sure where it was going or what the hell was being said at any given time.

This is not to say I didn’t enjoy the book, I did. I think Chuck’s portrayal of West Warwick, RI and the great white incident are (for lack of a better term) dead on. It left me feeling justified in thinking no matter how many fucking charity shows great white plays, Jack Russle is still an asshole. You made enough money to tour year round for free off of, “Once Bitten, Twice Shy” why not kick some of that loot to the families of the deceased?

Klosterman’s books are largely walks down his own memory lane. I’m not sure why but I find the fact he can intertwine his life with pop culture and society intriguing. If I didn’t, there really would be nothing else to draw me to his writing. His seemingly never-ending, treasure trove of yarns involving getting drunk, denied by the unreturned love of the week, all while ripping on hipster assholes who dig cocaine and the latest Interpol record, remind me why I have always thought of SPIN as a pretentious / bullshit music magazine. All things music being subjective, ripping Interpol but deifying everything Jack White does, just does not compute in my universe.

What the fuck am I saying? Did I like it, did I hate it? I’m looking it this evening as one where I was able to forget about my television for awhile. I was able to not be mired in the fact I would love to be watching the history or food channel but that I lack the necessary income to afford these “premium” channels. I was able to not spend the night implementing my television in my video game geekery. I was able to spend the night feeding my head…and that’s ok too.

I hope you all are well.

Cheers,
JJ

No comments: