Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Progress is Bittersweet...

I’ve been a big fan of Fall Out Boy and the music they’ve made over the years. “Take This to Your Grave” grabbed me by shirt, punched me in the face and said, “Check this out!” I was hooked at Saturday and never looked back. Happy to see FOB achieve minor mainstream success with “From Under the Cork Tree” I was amped. Here is a band with talent, who sing and play their own instruments and they are getting the recognition they deserve. Hum Hallelujah off of “Infinity on High” might be tied with Saturday, as my favorite FOB song of all time.

When, “Folie a Deux” came out, I will be the first one to admit I was not excited. Not because I heard bad things about the recording but because I had literally heard nothing about it. It didn’t even come up on my radar and I considered myself to be up on music, even without delving into the nonsense that is Top 40 / Commercial radio. So...a couple of months after, “Folie a Deux” was out, I gave it a listen. Crushed. It was the only word I could use to describe what I felt. Where was the FOB I knew and loved? Where was the raw aggressive sound I had come to know and love? While, “Folie a Deux” was not my favorite FOB album, it was still lyrically solid and I admired FOB for exploring different avenues to take their music down. I mean after all, it is their music.

Now after the hiatus everyone was sure was the demise of the band, we find a leaner and meaner yet, kinder and gentler FOB. “Save Rock and Roll”, FOB’s latest release is their crossover masterpiece. It’s the album that has all tracks ready to be easily remixed into dance floor anthems. Guest spots on the disc include Courtney Love, Big Sean and self confessed FOB fan, Sir Elton John. Realistically, who is not going to collaborate with Elton John given the chance?

Save Rock and Roll is a great disc, even if it is not my cup of tea. I’m still more inclined towards the edgier and harder stuff but not once whilst listening to SR&R did I say, “OMG this is awful...” Well written lyrics and music from front to back and if you are into Rock and Roll you can dance to, this is your record of the year for sure. My only criticism of the disc is it seems a bit, phoned in. Cut & paste is such a poor choice when you can actually play. Super over produced / processed or whatever. So much so, I worry about how it will translate live. I can’t imagine Andy Hurley was challenged much on this disc. Will there be lots of samples and tapes running during shows? If so, that’s just a shame since these guys are solid musicians and frontman Patrick Stump has proven time and time again he can sing his ass off. That being said Save Rock & Roll from Fall Out Boy receives ⅗ .

I hope you all are well.

Cheers,
JJ

No comments: