Tuesday, March 21, 2006

You wanna know what the toughest thing about being a diabetic is? Besides all of the fucking chemical havok that shit wreaks on your body, I don't know a diabetic that is not hungry. My dad has been a diabetic for as long as I can remember. Medicine has advanced greatly in my thirty years on the planet. People always said, "eat right, exercise, lose weight and your blood sugars will be fine." My dad lost enough weight to be the equivalent of another person, never eats anything he wants to, and exercises as much as time allows, (which is at least 30 minutes daily.)

Is he perfect? Of course not, the man will occassionally, and by occassionally I mean twice a year, eat something tasty, but his blood sugars are all over the place even taking his medicine, and following doctors orders religiously. Why all the diabetes talk you ask?

Cause I have it too.

It's something that never goes away. There is no cure, and diabetes reminds you it's around all day long. From feeling as though you are going to collapse cause your sugars are too low, too feeling as though you are going to pass out cause maybe you had too much pasta at a meal. Now, yes, it's possible to live a full life and keep blood glucose levels under control...just ask Wilford Brimley, Tommy Lee, and B.B. King but do you have to deny yourself everyday? You bet your ass.

Both my father and I have had doctor's tell us in layman's terms, "if it tastes good, don't eat it." Awesome, so bowls of dogshit for the rest of my life and I will live to be 70 if I'm lucky. If heart attack, blindness, stroke, amputation due to poor circulation or infection doesn't get me.

Sorry for the negative but in case you can't guess, my blood sugar is on the high side.

I hope you all are well.

Cheers,
JJ

No comments: