Thursday, February 03, 2005

Awake or Dreaming: Part Deux

For a split second I thought I was imagining things. This was too good to be true. So I cracked a wry grin,"I don't know but give it your best shot" came out of my lips as my head whipped around to see the pimp that uttered that phrase. She smiled wide and winked and began to fix a drink.

There was a tornado of bottles being put to good use in the mixing of love potion number mine. After a melange of alcohol covered a blender full of ice, New Girl put the ingredients in play. The result was something that tasted something akin to hawaiian punch, yet packed the energy of a power plant. We drank and danced. Songs of the 80's provided a soundtrack destined to make something happen. Regardless of the artist,(Duran Duran, When In Rome, Men at Work, Bananarama) she sang all the right words.By the time we had drank enough for my defenses to not be thier sharpest, "Need You Tonight" by INXS, came on and I was done. She turned and asked me, "is there something about me that makes you sweat?" I grew a bit red in the face and told her to, "slide over here and give me a moment, your moves are so raw, I've got to let you know......you're one of my kind."

From that point we danced alot closer, whispered a little softer and grew much warmer.More drinks and her fingers played with my chin. I suddenly knew I was prey and she was hungry like the wolf. I have to say it wasn't all that bad. A seat next to me opened up and she freshened our drinks and sat down next to me. She took a long pull off of the wonderful concoction she crafted and leaned over and whispered in my ear."Wow..." was all I could manage to reply. I was somewhat dumbfounded and at the same time, trying to control my dissappointment and anger over having to be at work in less than 6 hours, This was not the first time this had happened to me. I took a big drink and tried to craft a polite way to decline in about three seconds. My tongue cleared remainders of crushed ice from my lip and I leaned over to whisper into her ear. My reply elicited a pouting of the lips. She asked what I did and I wanted to say something cool like fighter pilot or firefighter or heart surgeon, but instead I told the truth. I've often heard the saying, "the truth will set you free." and for the first time in my life it was true.

New Girl got all warm and fuzzy when she found out I work with kids, and that I didn't want to dissapoint them by not showing up when we had a bunch of fun stuff planned. Every part of me wanted to ask for a raincheck or a, "can we do this on Tuesday night, my night off?" but I knew this was one of those here and now kind of opportunities. No doubt she was dissapointed I was not going home with her. I felt very much the same way and in some cases I think I was even moreso upset cause an attractive, intelligent woman with a great wit and sense of humor never tries to take me home. We danced a few more dances and it was coming up on two-thirty in the AM and I needed to leave. I started to walk out and New Girl was following me. Funky Professor and his girl were in tow.

Funky Prof stepped up to the plate and asked New Girl if she would like to go home with him and his girlfriend. "This is just to rub my face in it", I thought. "I'd love to", she replied, "but you might get bored cause I'd want your girl all to myself, and that's no fun for you now is it?" My jaw hit the floor and snapped back into place so I could bust a coast to coast grin. Funky Prof gave a chuckle and a peck on New Girls check and said his good byes. I was following him out when New Girl took my hand and spun me around. She wrapped her arms around my neck and planted one of those european kisses on me that you think are only possible in movies with subtitles. I can't be sure but I think one of my knees may have buckled.

"Thank you for a great night". She was staring into my eyes for one last attempt to draw Captain Responsible away from his post. I leaned in and gave her one of those soft yet, not quite John Hughes kisses and said, "No, thank you for the best night in a long time."And with that I turned and walked out the door. Funky Professor gave me a quizical look, "Mind telling me what that was all about"? All I could do was smile, "I have no idea but better luck next time". He cocked his head to the side like a dog trying to do algebra, "Yeah, I guess". He wasn't totally sure I wasn't punking him but it didn't matter. He was going home to make some jungle love with the Funky Girlfriend and had learned it's not good to be greedy.I started my car and while the frost melted off the front and back windows, I contemplated walking back into the party and grabbing New Girl and just running. My cell phone burned in my pocket but my conscience was beginning to throb in time with my liver. I pulled away from the best party I had been to since college, in search of a quart of water and a warm bed.

-FIN-

No comments: