Thursday, January 26, 2006

While I think...

it's a great idea. I mean we are way to fat as a nation, present company included, but I'm not sure that this is the way to go. For one thing, I think like anything that shows quick results, people become to involved. I have seen television programs where kids who were overweight, used DDR as an exercise program. For some it worked and worked almost too well.

Kids experiencing a moderate amount of success equate their weight loss with video games and although DDR does provide a good work out, I think we are naive in thinking this is the answer to our obesity problem. What about kids who decide to stop life beyond DDR and spend every waking moment possible on that dance pad. Let's also keep in mind teens do not always look at the effects of their actions.

Example: Johnny is over weight. Instead of sitting in his room on his computer, shoving ding-dongs down his throat and pints of ice cream up his ass, he plays DDR and experiences a drop in pounds. Happy with his initial success, he continues to play and while he is still losing weight, the pounds are not coming off as fast as he would like.
Maybe Johnny decides he is not going to eat as much. A good decision, but what he means by not as much is, he will eat only salad and water. However, Johnny decides that he can play DDR much longer if he drinks Mt. Dew instead of water. The ramifications of scenarios like this are horrible.

Now I don't think this is going to happen to anyone who decides to take up DDR as an exercise program. I just think we need to be mindful of things like addiction, nutrition counseling and repetitive stress injuries when offering the new "weight loss, quick fix."

But then again what the hell do I know? I love diet soda and lard.

I hope you all are well.

Cheers,
JJ

No comments: